A holistic approach to health involves caring for your mind, body and soul. No longer is it just about physical fitness; it has to be the entire package deal! It only makes sense to care for every single important faculty of your being, because face it, how can you be truly healthy if you’re a psychological and emotional wreck underneath that perfect size six body?
Here are five great tips to get you started on the road to holistic self development and satisfaction:
- Eat healthy. Self development starts with a healthy constitution and that means following a well balanced diet. Nourish your mind, body and soul with foods sourced from natural, chemical-free ingredients such as organic greens, hormone-free dairy products and whole grains. The vitamins and minerals you derive from such foods keep your bodily functions in balance, make you less prone to illnesses such as the common cold, help stave off depression and give you that overall glow that no cosmetic product can ever match. Eat right, eat well and eat in moderation.
- Say goodbye to harsh chemicals. If you’re still using very strong chemicals for, let’s say, your house cleaning products, trash them now! Not only do they harm the environment, but they also expose you to substances that can wreak havoc on your health. If you’ve ever cleaned your bathroom using industrial-strength bleach, then you know how the scent alone can make you dizzy and leave you irritable afterwards. Its unseen effects, on the other hand, are what it can do to your lungs; bleach fumes can burn your lungs and leave permanent scars in you. Get rid of all harmful substances from your cupboard and stick to natural sources to protect your mind, body and soul.
- Meditate. Meditation is great for self development for it allows you to connect with yourself far away from the madness of the everyday world. It also nurtures your mind, body and soul in one go with its “all-in-one package” of exercising correct breathing, putting yourself at rest mentally and physically, and healing any emotional aches and pains you have. Try to incorporate meditation time at least three times a week to rejuvenate yourself, more if you happen to work in a very fast-paced and high-pressure job. Find a spot in your house where you can meditate in peace for at least half an hour and make sure to tell the people who live with you not to disturb unless it’s something extremely urgent. You need this time for yourself.
- Spend time with loved ones. Nothing soothes the mind, body and soul like being in the company of people who mean the world to you! Significant others, children, parents and our dearest friends unfailingly give us so much joy even in our darkest hour. So on days when you feel you could use a little “pick me up” from your loved ones, organize quality time with them and use that occasion to reconnect, reflect and reevaluate what really matters in your life. And if you’re feeling inspired to expand your inner circle, go meet and mingle with other like-minded people. Building your support network always does wonders for self development as the more people you have in your life, the more confident and secure you feel.
- Indulge in the occasional massage. Anyone would be hard pressed to turn down a massage! It is one of the best rejuvenating methods for a weary mind, body and soul, especially after a stressful week in the office. The quiet ambience, the feel of caring hands kneading your body like dough, the soothing scent of candles and oils are a recipe for guaranteed relaxation. If you can’t afford a professional masseuse, then perhaps your partner could step up to the plate! Have a massage at least once a month, and perhaps slightly more often if the nature of your work is more physically and emotionally stressful than most jobs. The occasional indulgence is great for self development as you come out feeling a much better person after each session.
The recommendations above are just the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty of strategies out there that are designed to help you become a physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually balanced person. You just need to try the ones that you feel are right up your alley and can easily incorporate into your lifestyle. Keep learning, think health, be healthy and stay healthy!